10 replies to this topic

#1 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 07:48 PM

I'd like to get the opinions of some people I've known but aren't attached to the situation.

As you know, I love my job, again, from the batshit crazy owner of the last place I worked for (for the 4th time).

Of course, I've applied to, and received, unemployment.

I just opened a business. I'm a web and graphic designer, and a virtual assistant. It's only been open a couple weeks so I don't have a client yet, but I have been getting alot of requests for rates, and my social media has all been seeing a good (but not fabulous) jump in links and visit time. I really think the first client will come soon. This business will allow me to work at home, set my own hours, decide who I want to work with, do the things I enjoy while not offering the things I hate (like answering the loathsome telephone), and allow me to make alot more money.

But the other day I was offered a job at the place where my husband is working. I can work at home. I'd be installing hotel computer programs, and training people to use them for 40k per year. Here's the thing, it's only a contract position that would last six months and may, or may not, lead to working elsewhere in the company at the end. I'd have to go train in New Jersey which would basically mean I have to set my business aside for that time period.

I accepted the job because if I refuse it likely won't come again.

Here's the thing, everything in me is saying "don't do it". I get a stomach ache and want to cry at the thought. I burned out so bad from working for the last nutbag. My husband loves the company and I trust his judgement but our personalities are a bit different. He's much more tolerant and democratic than I am even though I am very good with customers, training and the programs needed.

I just don't want to do this anymore. My husband says it's up to me but the job would help pay off all the bills we're behind on.

I don't know what to do. What do you suggest?

#2 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:15 AM

I think you have already made 2 wonderful decisions the first starting your own business and the 2nd to accept a job offer that may lead to more! I think you are on a win-win :yes:

Keep your feelers out on your website and manage your time so you have balance (give a little time to yourselves).

I wish you all the best :heart:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#3 PIT leader

PIT leader

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:ghost-hunting,videogames,metal and house music,horror films,comics

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:24 AM

I would give the second job a try seeing as you said it's likely to not be offered again. If things don't work out or it definitely is only temporary, you'll still have your own business which will hopefully be fully up and running by then :)
We have such sights to show you!

IF YOU HAVE TIME, VIEW MY VIDEOS (NOT PARANORMAL) AT   https://www.youtube....cGDuiN3AKqdqNpQ

#4 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:24 PM

Thank you guys.

#5 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:30 PM

I think it's a good thing, your husband knows you well enough to warn you if the job is not going to be a good fit, give it a go and see what it leads to. Allows you time for your business to grow as well.
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#6 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:58 AM

I got a call from the company for a different job at 50k per year. I start Dec 10. Its just too much money. I'm going to keep working on my business though. I gave up on it last time, I'm not doing that again.

#7 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:03 PM

I agree with the others - you're not giving up on the dream of working for yourself - you are just buying time and as someone said in an earlier post - you never know who you might run into that could help you grow your own business. I feel it's a good move and remind yourself when needed - it's only a stepping stone for you as a new business owner;)  Good luck!

#8 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:58 PM

From what you have described on the job that is at your husbands company....I would say take it.  If it is a working from home type job, then you are on your schedule when the training is done.  I would think that this might give you the best of both worlds to do your own thing and do the work remotely.

Even if it only 6 months.  A lot of bill catch up / building up savings can be done in that time.

I wish you the very best and hope it works out for you!!!
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#9 earthlydelitesGStudy

earthlydelitesGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:36 PM

well done on the new offer! Sounds like a good plan to me.
It's in the trees, it's coming!

#10 moiraesfate

moiraesfate

Doppelganger

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:16 PM

I decided to take it when we received a notice one of the bills went to collection yesterday. I pretty much have no choice.

#11 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,306 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:36 AM

View Postmoiraesfate, on 28 November 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

I decided to take it when we received a notice one of the bills went to collection yesterday. I pretty much have no choice.

Then it is a win-win that you took the job. Stay positive. :heart:
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter