© Fisana

Debugging....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:04 PM

As a person who's working in the computer industry as an engineer, I debug issues or test failures almost daily.  I am not so great that I can debug any issue (I am a hardware guy, not software).  My ability to debug issues is a great skill set to have.  The ability to use these skills in applying the methods to many things in life is very helpful.

Anything that is not working right OR that is strange / UN-explainable would be addressed in the same ways that we debug an issue at work.  I am one that uses the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method.  Check all the easy stuff first.  Validate what led to the issue or what you saw / experienced.  Rule out all other potential causes.  Document the process so you dont repeat steps.  Or document in a journal (as I was suggested to do to ID trends).

My whole point here is to get people thinking. If you are trying to fix anything or get down to a root cause of something.  Rule out all the things it cant be.  Dont skip the intermediate steps.  Most importantly (for me), take notes on all the steps taken from the first to the last....or keep a journal (paranormal type speaking).  This enables you to read back through and be able to see trends or possible steps skipped.

One last tip.  When going back through your notes or journal.  Read it out loud to yourself.  We call that the rubber duck method to debug.  Speaking out loud allows another part of your brain to listen and quite often you will figure it out.

Dilbert comic strip nails it...   https://dilbert.com/strip/2017-05-28

I bought all my team mates rubber ducks for Christmas 1.5 years ago.  Most of them still have them on their work benches
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#2 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • Interests:Digital Stills / Auditory Enigmas

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

Great share Lou. Where's my duck? :good:

Edited by EVP, 07 May 2019 - 05:03 PM.