• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

I would love anyone's opinion, especially those educated in photography. I don't know what to make of this photo. I won't give a background or story other than saying it's in a cemetery, which you can tell. I think I used a tripod but am not positive.

All the weird stuff is in the depth of the photo, but depth of field will make the background blurry, not give motion blur, correct? Maybe someone can tell me if I'm wrong on this?

Also camera shake can make lights take different shapes but if you take notice the lights are showing in the middle of the cemetery where there are no lights or houses. Just a cemetary and open field.

The thing that really confuses me, is where all the weird stuff is, is just grass. Nothing else. No tombstones, no signs, just grass. Under the lights notice all the weird looking things that look like possible tombstones or rocks? They look like they have odd bird face carvings. Also at that spot there is NOTHING. No rocks. No tombstones. Just grass. That is the part of the picture that is interesting to me. Also they look like they are all moving from the motion blur that is just in that one spot. The rest of the photo is sharp.

I think I should print this picture out and take it back there and take a photo during the day. I can use the close tombstones In the photo to match up to take another photo to compare.

The yellow spot to the left I think is a sign.

I have no issues if anyone wants to copy this to investigate further and would love opinions. Is it worth my time to go back and take more photos or is it al easily explainable?

Thanks to anyone who wants to help.   p.s. I know I spelled cemetery wrong in the post. I always think it should have an 'a' in it. lol

p.s. I modified this to lighten it so I will post the original darkened one too.

Wow. It says I can load only 25k. My photos are 400k. How does anyone upload original photos with those restrictions? Guess I have to put it in a link.

Here's the link. I tried to copy the exif data but could not figure out how https://www.askladyd...ryceremony.html

Edited by Ladydi, 17 May 2019 - 07:07 AM.

#2 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • Interests:Digital Stills / Auditory Enigmas

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

If you'd like me to look at your image please post the unaltered image with EXIF data intact Do not upload an altered image as that may strip vital information out young lady. You're welcome to email it (preferable for both of us) as well if you feel comfortable with that endeavor. Please reply here if that suits you and I will PM you my email address. If that doesn't work for you I totally understand.

PS- I mentioned in a previous posting that you will need an image hosting site to have an image displayed here at a reasonable size.

Go to http://tinypic.com/
Register an account
Upload the image
Copy the image code and paste it in your thread.

The big caveat is this board strips ALL the interesting EXIF data out.

Edited by EVP, 16 May 2019 - 05:18 PM.

#3 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

EVP I tried to post it but it says it's too large. It's 400k. I will email it to if you would like to investigate it for me. I have no problems with anyone having this photo and would love to hear what could be causing all this. … Oh I forgot about the image hosting site. I can do that also. I will upload it to the site you suggested but also can email it to you if you wish. My email is di@askladydi.com  I will work on uploading it to the image site now. I'm sure there must be a way I can code it on my site to show exif but I don't know how nor have the time to figure it out now.

hmm I just read that site is allowed to copy distribute and sell any images posted. I just have an issue with that and would rather email it to you if that's okay.

Edited by KlaineyGStudy, 16 May 2019 - 07:47 PM.
We don't usually display members email address in posts. However, since you use this address on your website I will leave it up.

#4 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

Just sent you an email. Sorrry for the delay.

#5 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:42 PM

View PostLadydi, on 16 May 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

hmm I just read that site is allowed to copy distribute and sell any images posted. I just have an issue with that and would rather email it to you if that's okay.

No, we don't sell any images. We have a mainsite and our social media pages of Twitter and FaceBook. I can asure you; I manage our social media pages and will not repost any of your images. The own of the site Jim, I would suggest, would respect your wishes too.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#6 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

P.s I looked at your images Di they are interesting maybe once the members finish their critiquing you can give us some feedback on what you witnessed?
Posted Image

#7 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:15 AM

klaineygstudy thanks. I don't have much of a story but will tell after the critiquing.

Sorry about the email address. I didn't realize it's not allowed.

Edited by Ladydi, 17 May 2019 - 06:37 AM.

#8 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:22 AM

View PostLadydi, on 17 May 2019 - 06:15 AM, said:

klaineygstudy thanks. I don't have much of a story but will tell after the critiquing.

Sounds good can't wait :)
Posted Image

#9 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

The Official GhostStudy Easter Bunny

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:08 AM

EVP, I checked and according to Image Edited: "There is nothing in the file metadata that indicates this file has been edited." I'll send you the Raw Image Metadata (EXIF) in a message.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

Posted Image

My Shop

#10 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

Before I begin, it is important to stress what I am about to convey are facts and not opinion. What is the difference between a fact and opinion? A fact “can be proven” through research and is always true. Here is an example of a fact. "A human requires water and food to survive". This is always true. Whereas an opinion is based “on feelings” and cannot be proven. An example of this would be "coffee is delicious".

Most of this dissertation will be how cameras operate when certain parameters take place. The information, I will be using comes from the EXIF data embedded in the image itself.

The exception comes from my final thoughts at the end where I derive an educated opinion from facts.

Despite previous conversations, I do not want you to think that I believe spiritography is a waste of time. If it brings you pleasure and you find it therapeutic, by all means embrace the opportunity. If one gives up on hope, your pursuits will always remain a dream.

Through my paranormal tenure, I’ve found direction through audio recordings mostly. They seem to the most prevalent in evidence capturing.

If visual capturing is your preference, filming at 30-60 frames per second via video offers a higher probability of capturing phenomena.

I see photography in paranormal investigation an absolute for documentation purposes. Preparing a report with images of the actual investigation completes a final print with words.

On that note, below is my report.

Posted Image

Edited by EVP, 17 May 2019 - 06:41 PM.

#11 trin

trin

Alien

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Interests:photography, art, ghost stories (particularly first hand), history, Asia, origami, fiber arts/crafts. http://www.zibbet.com/trinlayk

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

yep, motion blur, also the  lights can be fairly distant, or small.  the further away, the more tiny motion is going to show in the blurs. (more blur / motion trails, the further away the item bluring.)

so unless this cemetary is in a distant rural area without any houses, traffic/ street lighting for miles and miles, this is just ambient "noise"/

#12 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:20 PM

View Posttrin, on 17 May 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

yep, motion blur, also the  lights can be fairly distant, or small.  the further away, the more tiny motion is going to show in the blurs. (more blur / motion trails, the further away the item bluring.)

so unless this cemetary is in a distant rural area without any houses, traffic/ street lighting for miles and miles, this is just ambient "noise"/

Agreed, I should have included in all places when mentioning motion blur also camera shake. Both of them contributed in this image.

Edited by EVP, 17 May 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#13 MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

MacCionoadha BeanSidhe

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts
  • Interests:Meat Loaf(Actor/Singer not the food), Paranormal, Reading, Beading, Baking, Barbecuing, Cooking, Container Gardening and Music.

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

If you invert the colors, you can see the movement of the lights that are in the background.

Posted Image

Aquène kah nahonnushagk(Peace and farewell),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)

Posted Image

My Shop

#14 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:19 AM

I'll have to remember that Mac. Reverse contrast makes it even more prevalent. Great stuff!

#15 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone for your input and information. EVP I appreciate your time in leaving such an in-depth and informative reply.

Mac thanks for the info. I will have to see if my photo editing software can invert colors. I see your photo also picked up on two other images I was wondering about above tombstones There are images in light. I was thinking it could possibly be from something reflective above the tombstones? I'll circle them in the photo. I had to make the photo black and white to get it small enough to load.

I did go back to the spot and took more photos. I have to admit, my memory was faulty in regards to taking that photo. I took three photos that night. Two of where I said an open field was(which I thought was this photo) and this photo which is not by an open field. It turns out this photo has the church in the background. That must be the source of the lights. It could also be from people walking around. Just because I don't remember seeing anyone else doesn't mean there wasn't anyone. This was a long time ago. I always assume odd lights in photos are always from a light source. It happens all the time with camera shake.

What I was questioning was the odd rocks in the photo. There are no rocks, tombstones, or anything other than grass in that spot. I took more photos yesterday to compare them.  I know the photo has issues with depth of field, low light and camera shake. Can those issues actually cause artifacts, such as the rocks, to appear?

Thank you everyone

Attached Files

Edited by Ladydi, 19 May 2019 - 09:52 AM.

#16 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

Artifact usually comes in a much smaller scale as in pixel level. It won't have the size of large rocks.  In supposition of the rocks, 17 years has passed and its possible landscaping of the grounds has changed. You really need an image in daylight from 17 years ago to compare. I understand and appreciate your curiosity but the latency in years is your enemy. If at all possible daylight shots should always be included in reports as a point of reference and chimp your images immediately after taking them. That's a real benefit film days never had at its disposal.

I don't know if this shortcut key will aid you, but Photoshop uses Control+I to invert colors. I don't believe that shortcut has change since the 90's.

If you want a lightweight image editor/browser, I'd recommend downloading FastStone Image Viewer. It's completely free, powerful and quick. It also reads RAW files. You can invert colors with that image editor with the same shortcut key as above Control + I.

https://www.fastston...iewerDetail.htm

Edited by EVP, 19 May 2019 - 10:51 AM.

#17 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:44 PM

Thanks. yes it being a long time ago does make it difficult to know about the rocks. After I took the photo and got home and saw the rocks on the photo I considered it paranormal because I remember there were no rocks or tombstones out of alignment but then again I also thought this photo was taken facing the field. So I can't trust what I thought. I was just thinking if it could be something odd then maybe I would go back sometime and take more photos but I'm not in the habit of doing that. I don't 'ghost hunt' or look for ghost evidence usually. I just saw something odd at the cemetery and it made me want to take some photos that night. Most of the photos I have are because I ask paranormal groups or people to send me any evidence they have when they ask for help and unfortunately I can't show those. I don't even critique the photos in detail I just use them along with the person's story to determine what I think is happening.

#18 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

View PostLadydi, on 19 May 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

Thanks. yes it being a long time ago does make it difficult to know about the rocks. After I took the photo and got home and saw the rocks on the photo I considered it paranormal because I remember there were no rocks or tombstones out of alignment but then again I also thought this photo was taken facing the field. So I can't trust what I thought. I was just thinking if it could be something odd then maybe I would go back sometime and take more photos but I'm not in the habit of doing that. I don't 'ghost hunt' or look for ghost evidence usually. I just saw something odd at the cemetery and it made me want to take some photos that night. Most of the photos I have are because I ask paranormal groups or people to send me any evidence they have when they ask for help and unfortunately I can't show those. I don't even critique the photos in detail I just use them along with the person's story to determine what I think is happening.

That's a tough pair of shoes to fill. Critiquing images from user submissions isn't fun. Frequently there isn't supportive images to someones story, One photograph isn't enough.  EXIF data often is missing and little to no controls are enforced while making an image.

There are times when they don't want to listen either. I use to critique photos over at Haunted Voices a decade ago as well as instruct in audio filtering. I remember one time someone came to me frantically in the chat room in a state of panic. They opened the conversation with "My baby has a demon after it!" I asked, "How do you know that?" They answered, "Because I have an image that shows it!!" I asked them to send it to me for further inspection. Once I received it, I zoomed in  & saw a mist hovering over the baby in the living-room of a house. Upon closer examination, I looked at the very edge of the alleged mist. It was smoke without a doubt. It had a brown color cast on the edging which indicates nicotine/tar.

I came back to them hoping I could relieve their panic. I said you have nothing to worry about, it's likely cigarette smoke. {I learned how to identify from a professional photographer}. They replied, "There isn't any chance of that!!" I asked, "Are you telling me no one smokes in the household?" They replied, "No one smoked a cigarette in the house for at least a hour!" I said, "Smoke can linger in the air for hours and when you use a flash, it brings it to a visible state."

They didn't want to hear it. You would think they would be relieved. Instead the person continued ranting, "You don't know anything, "THERE'S A DEMON!" I ended up leaving the chat room.

Edited by EVP, 19 May 2019 - 06:32 PM.

#19 Ladydi

Ladydi

EVP

• GS Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

I've faced similar with helping people. When my website was up (I've only recently put it back up to show photos after years of being down) I was bombarded with so many emails I could not possibly reply to them all. You would not believe the number of emails I received stating someone had demons over things that could be explained easily but when people are scared they tend to not want to listen to reason because they are afraid of not getting help. When someone experiences something frightening they tend to exaggerate it in their minds. I don't think this is on purpose but just part of the fear response. It was much easier when a case came recommended to me and I could travel to the person's home knowing I wasn't wasting my time. My email bombardments were the reason I went into hiding when my health worsened because regardless of how much you tell people you can not help anymore, they just keep trying. The most annoying were people who insisted they have demons because some psychic told them they did. You also wouldn't believe the amount of money people say they gave to psychics to rid them of nonexistent demons. They should know if the person is charging to help then it's a rip off.  

I'm glad you were able to critique my photo. I wasn't sure it was anything paranormal but wanted to find out what It could be especially with low light and camera shake. The rocks were the one thing I could not easily explain. If I ever get the urge I will go back and take more photos at night but I'm really not into that sort of thing

#20 EVP

EVP

Wraith

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

You also wouldn't believe the amount of money people say they gave to psychics to rid them of nonexistent demons. They should know if the person is charging to help then it's a rip off.

Those people are often stuck with the label "psychic predators" and justifiably so. I'm not against someone making money, but I have a dislike for people that prey on people's fears at any cost just for monetary gain.

I hope your health has improved. Our health is often all we have when we age. Some aren't so lucky. I have a friend 20 years younger than myself who is battling stage 4 cancer right now.

Edited by EVP, 19 May 2019 - 08:38 PM.