8 replies to this topic

#1 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,230 posts
  • Interests:Music, games, movies, the paranormal

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

Lots of changes and new shows this fall, so my reviews on some of these (for what it's worth!)

First, we had the live Salem event last Friday night, a gathering of quite a few folks from various shows investigating several locations in Salem. IMO Adam, Amy and Chip from Kindred Spirits seemed to be the most legit investigators. We also had Jack Osbourne and Katrina Weidman from Portals to Hell were ok. Then we had the Ghost Brothers, who, as far as I can tell, don't have any background in the paranormal before their show Ghost Brothers started a few years back -- as a gimmick (we're all from the hood"!) Pretty useless, although they had a guest medium Cindy Kaza, who is on The Holzer files with Dave Schrader. She seems relatively credible and is pretty hot to boot! The Bros kept talking over her when she was trying to talk though. Greg and Dana Newkirk were around a bit with the Kindred Spirits team, doing some witchcraft, and Dave Schrader was mostly a talking head along the show's host, whom I've never heard of before.

Overall, everything seemed rushed, I'd imagine because it was live TV, and there was too much cutting back and forth between teams.

Most of us are aware the GhostHunters is back with Grant Wilson and a whole new team. Apparently Jason Hawes was first approached about the reboot, but the network wanted a new team, so jason said no. Grant took the offer, and the new team seems pretty likeable and knowledgeable. Overall I like their approach to investigating.

Kindred Spirits is on hiatus between seasons. Again, a likeable cast that investigates the right way and with respect.

Portals to Hell is okay, Katrina is a good investigator, Jack has been on a few paranormal shows before but admits he doesn't have the background others do, and is an entertaining guy.

Ghost Brothers is now subtitled Haunted Houseguests, and I really don't take them very seriously as investigators, it's more entertainment/jokes.

So far there's only been one episode aired of the Holzer Files, so I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Dave Schrader does Darkness Radio, and was also the one who hooked Ghost Adventures up with Keith -- he's posted here, the GA episode was a Haunting in Bothell (or something similar).

Ghost nation premieres next week, with the old GH crew, Jason, Steve and Tango. Advance word is good, we'll see.

Dead Files is another, I'm wondering if the show's premise is getting worn out. I still watch and enjoy it, but the format is stale.

And there are the UFO shows. IMO the best ones are Contact and Unidentified. Ancient Aliens is better than it was with more current events and facts, but still cringeworthy whenever they try to to connect past history with UFO's/aliens
My Signature
Posted Image

#2 lorac61469

Succubus

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

I tried watching the new Ghost Hunters, not a huge fan. Donít really like the team

Iíve got Jasonís show scheduled to record. Hoping itíll be good.

Havenít watched the Salem event yet, got it recorded.

I stopped watching The Dead Files a while ago when every other word out of Amyís mouth had to be bleeped because of cursing.

Tried watching Ghost Brothers once. Awful.

Edited by lorac61469, 06 October 2019 - 12:28 PM.

#3 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,230 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:24 PM

I forgot to add Ghost Adventures. Last night the first new show in awhile aired. I had forgotten how bad the GA crew is, especially in comparison to a couple of shows I previously mentioned. Dramatics, exaggerations, and just too frikkin noisy with all the yelling. Not professional at all
My Signature
Posted Image

#4 EVP

Wraith

• EVP
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Interests:Digital Stills / Auditory Enigmas

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:22 AM

View PostVlawde, on 06 October 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

Then we had the Ghost Brothers, who, as far as I can tell, don't have any background in the paranormal before their show Ghost Brothers started a few years back

Ghost Adventures had no paranormal experience prior to the show starting.They were simply out of work actors at the time. Besides, REAL paranormal investigation would not last a season if it accurately depicted good practices. A show needs sponsorship and they would not receive it without activity which at best sporadic and occasional. Look what happened to "American Paranormal". It lasted only a couple of episodes. They tested theories. I liked the show despite it being hardcore skepticism.

Just call me old school. I can't watch a full episode without switching channels. It's like reading a book and seeing a poor adaptation done in movie.

Edited by EVP, 07 October 2019 - 05:23 AM.

My Signature
Posted Image

#5 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,230 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:04 AM

...or for me, like driving past an accident. You don't want to look, but can't help yourself! ;)
My Signature
Posted Image

#6 LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:03 AM

I caught part of a paranormal show on TV while I was in El Paso last week.  It was late and it took only a few minutes of the over dramatic sound effects (music and such) that I turned it off.  Wish I would have caught the name of the show....
My Signature
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#7 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:27 PM

View PostVlawde, on 07 October 2019 - 07:04 AM, said:

...or for me, like driving past an accident. You don't want to look, but can't help yourself! ;)

Did you get a chance to review Grant's new show?  (Sigh)  Remember when ghost hunting was much simpler?  I miss those days.  lol
My Signature
Happily Wacko.

#8 Vlawde

Exorcism

• GS Member
  • 12,230 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

View PostMenet, on 09 October 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

Did you get a chance to review Grant's new show?  (Sigh)  Remember when ghost hunting was much simpler?  I miss those days.  lol

I did mention I liked it, but I've seen all episodes so far...and when I get off work later I'll watch tonight's episode. Overall I like the new team, and the fact that they really make an effort to debunk or recreate things. Plus they don't (or at least haven't yet) pulled the demon/evil entity card. This Friday Jason's new show Ghost Nation premiers, advance buzz is good. After seeing that, I may have an idea if I prefer one or the other, but based on watching both Jason and grant on the old Ghost Hunters, not sure I'll be able to.
My Signature
Posted Image

#9 Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:09 PM

View PostVlawde, on 09 October 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

I did mention I liked it, but I've seen all episodes so far...and when I get off work later I'll watch tonight's episode. Overall I like the new team, and the fact that they really make an effort to debunk or recreate things. Plus they don't (or at least haven't yet) pulled the demon/evil entity card. This Friday Jason's new show Ghost Nation premiers, advance buzz is good. After seeing that, I may have an idea if I prefer one or the other, but based on watching both Jason and grant on the old Ghost Hunters, not sure I'll be able to.

Ghost Nation.  I like it.  I trimmed back my cable bill considerably and have not elected to stream anything which doesn't allow me to watch the shows you've been telling us about.  If I could, I would be watching Jay and Grant.  The rest?  Meh.
My Signature
Happily Wacko.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com