© Fisana

Be Good At What You Do...it May Turn Into Something So Much More

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Interests:WOW, our dogs and hanging with good people!

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:50 AM

I work for AMD and the campus I work at has a cafeteria and used to have a Starbucks coffee shop.  The personnel turnover rate was fairly high in the cafe and starbucks.  A coworker told me his wife got a job at the work starbucks and that she used to work at a previous one for several years.  This guys wife, Danielle, took control of that starbucks.  she organized the whole behind the counter area.  She heard from customers that their coffee tasted different day to day.  So, she created laminated index cards for all the areas where they mix the coffee drinks.  She could and would run circles around any of the other employees there.  Danielle was such a hard worker and so motivated that I half jokingly told her and her husband one day about a year ago that if I had a contractor job open in my team I would hire her for it.

Danielle says she would take it if it was available.  I spoke to my boss and coworker who both knew Danielle as a barista rock star.  Starbucks closed down here at work 6 months ago.

Now we fast forward to 2 weeks ago.  One of our existing contractors is leaving in late December to go back to college.  My boss tasked me in finding our next junior technician to replace our leaving contractor.  I told him I already found a person. I reminded him of Danielle and he wanted her resume.  She got her offer this past Friday and is supposed to start in early December.  It is a 2 year contract position and only 2 years unless they decided to convert her to full time at the end of 2 years.  Her hourly pay will be very close to twice what she made from starbucks.  

All of this is happening because she kicked some booty in her job and got noticed by those who appreciated her effort.  Hard work helped her land a job with lots of upside!!!
Just because you have one....doesn't mean you have to act like one - Louczar
Life is short, enjoy it!

#2 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:44 PM

I'm a pushover for a good worker.
Happily Wacko.

#3 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:10 AM

Me too Menet!

I have never been to Starbucks, I don't think it is as big here in Australia.
Posted Image

Visit us here: Facebook or Twitter

#4 Menet

Menet

Earthbound Spirit

• GS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 14 November 2019 - 05:10 AM, said:

Me too Menet!

I have never been to Starbucks, I don't think it is as big here in Australia.

Plentiful here.  And expensive.  I go once in a blue moon.  Usually during the summer for ice coffee drinks.  Yummy.
Happily Wacko.

#5 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:47 PM

I think there are only 15 in my state and none are close! The closest is 3.5 hours away!
Posted Image

#6 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:58 AM

My wife and I call Starbucks "fivebucks"...because you cant buy anything for less than $5 :-)
Life is short, enjoy it!

#7 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:44 AM

Just a little update.  Danielle has exceeded all expectations!  The down side....

I have had no less than 3 of the security guards that work here if I can get them a contractor job too.  None of them are ever close to the work ethic of Danielle.
Life is short, enjoy it!

#8 KlaineyGStudy

KlaineyGStudy

Forum Manager

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:52 PM

That is good... as for the SGs maybe you shouldn't recommend them if they aren't doing their fair share of the work!
Posted Image

#9 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:07 AM

View PostKlaineyGStudy, on 18 January 2020 - 11:52 PM, said:

That is good... as for the SGs maybe you shouldn't recommend them if they aren't doing their fair share of the work!

I only recommend people who i would not be afraid to put my name on the line for them.  I dont see much in them to say they are worthy.  just my .02.

another down side....  When we brought her in for an interview, she crossed paths with several other managers that all stated they would hire her and they did not know she was looking for a job inside AMD.  She crosses paths with a lot of people here that recognize her from the coffee job.  They have started asking her if she has a LinkedIn account (she didn't) and to make one so they could stay connected.  At least one has told her if she didn't like what she is doing that they would love for her to come work on their team....:-(

I was grateful she told me what people were saying.  She did also say that she is a very loyal person and very grateful that I took the risk on her and brought her in.  That and the fact that I keep taking every opportunity to train her on more stuff in efforts to make her, at the very least, a good electronic / computer technician.  I do rework (soldering) training for her 2X a week as another skill she wants to learn.  We will start this week on another weekly training session of electronics fundamentals.  learning how to read schematics, Ohm's law and some of the tools we use to see every layer, component and pin # of our circuit boards.
Life is short, enjoy it!

#10 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:33 PM

View PostLouczarGStudy, on 15 November 2019 - 05:58 AM, said:

My wife and I call Starbucks "fivebucks"...because you cant buy anything for less than $5 :-)
And that's on a good day! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts
  • Interests:I am in private practice with a primary focus on treatment & management of eye disease. I enjoy astronomy, paranormal Investigating, visiting cemeteries, geocaching, gold panning, metal detecting & things of that nature.

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

That's so true though - you never know who is watching. My father told me when I was growing up - it never mattered if we were cropping tobacco or if we had an office one day of our own....any work we did, never forget  'it bares your signature and people will see it whether it is good or bad.  The end result can and will make or break you.

You've made a difference in someone's life!

#12 MichelleGStudy

MichelleGStudy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:26 PM

She is planning to stay with you & your company right? I hope so - here I probably go through 10 new hires and get 1 great one. But I suppose it's worth it, it's just this area.

#13 LouczarGStudy

LouczarGStudy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:58 AM

MichelleGStudy, on 09 February 2020 - 07:26 PM, said:

She is planning to stay with you & your company right? I hope so - here I probably go through 10 new hires and get 1 great one. But I suppose it's worth it, it's just this area.

She is planning to stay as long as she can.  She is asking about additional training now too.  Even though she only has a HS education, she wants to learn everything along the line of being a computer technician.  I am working on a curriculum for her and the other person doing the same job.  If she wants to learn then I feel obligated to teach her!!!
Life is short, enjoy it!